The DC All Stars podcast covers the final six issues of the Bendis Superman title! Doctor Fate! Lana Lang! Superman vs Synmar! And so much more. Along with Superman issues 23 thru 28, we also cover the first three episodes of the new Superman & Lois TV show! If you like what you hear, be sure to subscribe for more DC comic reviews, interviews, tv & movie talk, and more!
Listen to DC All Stars episode 61 here:
Other DC All Stars appearances are here:
Superman 23-28 notes:
- Three weeks ago: Veronica Bissette / Adam Strange working with DEO / Leviathan attack / and the item she brought in gets affected as does she?
- that shot of Dr. Fate by Maguire is a little odd
- Blue and Gold in the background
- Detective Chimp: “the man who HAD everything” ha. Nice play on Alan Moore’s story title
- which Fate is this? Khalid Nassour? // Yup it is
- Xanadoth. The spirit of the Lords of Chaos. Now bonded to Veronica
- Superman checking in with Fate to make sure all of his life choices of late are truly his own / more comments about Superman not eating, like in Action 1022. / Also he needs to sleep every couple of years or he gets cranky. Yikes – that’s crazy.
- Madame Xanadu. Du vs Doth
- Fate is acting like a therapist or Psychologist
- Did Superman just correct Fate’s grammar?
- Xanadoth the Returned / the Lord of the Lords of Chaos / “the true owner of that Helmet of Fate”
- last year, DEO and Dr Bones were tasked to look into magic as part of his responsibilities. And gives that assignment to Veronica. / Bones is showing his dislike for anything “Super____”.
- Credit box has the old “DC Comics Presents” logo with Superman and Dr. Fate like a team up
- wait – Xanadoth is a she??
- Xanadoth is Chaos unto Chaos – why do Bendis and Snyder get to layer this kind of stuff on top of pre-established DCU lore unlike other writers?
- what is the Spike? The artists aren’t helping us out here.
- is this going to tie into the Dr. Fate that’s in the Legion?
- Xanadoth: “as I navigate this polluted new reality I have been rebirthed into” – ha.
- Superman and Dr. Fate merged – almost like Dr. StrangeFate from Amalgam.
- this story isn’t as grand as Rogol Zaar. Even if that story wasn’t universally loved. But it’s still carrying over the Truth aspect – Superman’s truth in this instance. Of what he’s feeling about all of the events plus having revealed his identity.
- omg Synmar??? I thought Xanadoth was the last big bad. Oh geez. Why are they all monsters?
- the Synmar talking about Krypton exploding in real time – more reactions from a galactic POV
- if they are seeing it in real time, is that Wonder Woman alive and active before Superman comes to Earth?
- they foresee that eventually Superman will become the leader of that planet. Which is exactly what happens with the formation of the UP.
- Smallville. Lana is dating a “Brad” just like the original movie
- Lana’s arrival at the Daily Star
- the Synmar are making a champion.. and waiting for Superman to pose a threat
- lots of Fleischer cartoon homages
- Lois is on assignment – in Event Leviathan Checkmate – which hasn’t been released yet at all
- the Synmar Utopica? / and something odd about his creation
- Superman and Superwoman – what’s that weird look on Clark’s face during the rescue in Puerto Rico?
- Lana is interviewing Clark / probably realizing just how much he loved her in Smallville / she no longer has her powers
- “What’s the Superman?” – what an odd ending. Since they all look similar it’s hard to tell how this story progresses from Krypton’s explosion to the creation of a weapon
- Surprised no mention of Xanadoth.
- An odd issue for an anniversary
- Superman feels his conversation with Dr. Fate led him to think that he’s stressed / but Lois helps center him. Always has.
- Synmar is coming – Superman is warned by Kelex at the Fortress.
- a scene at the Daily Planet with Clark and Steve Lombard. Fall out of his identity reveal / funny line about finding all those ties in the supply room. Ha.
- Apparently, the JL put tech around the Daily Planet for security.
- Synmar attacks (surprised Superman doesn’t relate this to Rogol’s attack) and the security measure is kicked in: it sends people to the Phantom Zone
- the art is fantastic. The story not so much. The smaller plots are fun – the Daily Planet, the discussions, etc. But the Synmar stuff is not interesting.
- odd abrupt cliffhanger.
- Superman “Why has this creature traveled … to attack me?” / because of the title: Mythological. There was a story created around Superman in this alien species’ culture. And like Pa said, sometimes people are evil. Except this time Synmar thinks it’s Superman that’s evil.
- Again – beautiful artwork. Some flourishes that remind me of JLGLopez style superman faces when he uses his X-ray vision
- “I have never felt an attack like his – never” – again? Really? Even Superman mentions that he has said that a lot lately. But come on.
- they are in the Phantom Zone. And here comes: Xa-Du the Phantom King – the first Kryptonian ever banished here. From the Morrison Action Comics run
- Lana visits Lois – with questions about Clark. And Lois gives her her book to read because it will answer her questions. Is this the multiverse book?
- Superman “I want truth. I hit things to stop them but no truth comes out of it” – there’s that word again
- Superman manages to try and get Synmar to show him where he’s from / an orange Sun! Uh oh!
- Superman: “the greatest Kryptonian minds believed yellow sunlight brought us to our absolute maximum potential.” – huh, so they all knew ahead of time, not just Jor-El? That kinda takes the fun out of Superman’s powers.
- so there’s some kind of civil war on Synmar. And miscommunication about what to do with Superman .
- narration of Lana Lang’s interview – the book Lois was writing is the Truth About Superman – there it is again. Truth.
- whoa wait – the are saying Lois’ mom only had one daughter? NOOOOPE.
- “We empower him” Lois describes humans as living batteries – not only does Clark get power from the sun, but also from everyone. Literally and figuratively? Is this the ending to Bendis’ larger story of truth? Hmmm.. I dunno.
- and then the United Planet Brigade shows up. Thanagarian. Dominion. Gandelo’s people. A Psion? Khund. Tamaranean (Prince Zerep?). And others.
- Utopica is the first under UP hold – whatever that means.
- Supergirl has met Zerep before? What thing on Oa? That’s odd.
- All of that solar energy armor looks Monitor-ish.
- Rona Kowalski – the singer from the Man of Steel mini-series
- And then it just… ends. All the UP stuff. Synmar. Xanadoth. The Truth. No mention of Melody Moore. Just… poofs.